Oh joy, Christmas Beer Sangria!December 5, 2018
Puerto Rican Arroz con Dulce (Rice Pudding)December 17, 2018
This roasted tomato basil soup is the real deal. It’ll make you forget about all that canned stuff and make you wonder just why you never attempted to make your own homemade tomato soup before! and more importantly, you’ll be shocked how easy it is!
- 2 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pkg Grape or Cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 430 F. Place tomatoes on a baking tray with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 tablespoon of oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes, or until soft and charred on the tops.
- While tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, and potato; cook for about 7 minutes, occasionally stirring. Stir the tomato paste thought the potatoes and onions; pour in vegetable broth; season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when tested with a fork. Add tomatoes, garlic and basil to the broth (save to tablespoon of basil for garnish); continue to simmer for 3 minutes. Blend soup using a stick blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle with extra basil, garnish with shaved parmesan cheese, and serve with grilled cheese.