Makes 4 servings
2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and soaked
8 ounces uncooked fettuccine pasta
2 TBS olive oil
1 bottle (12 ounces) lager beer
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bulb fresh fennel, peeled and cubed
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh plum tomatoes
Chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Discard any mussel that remain open when tapped with fingers. Cook fettuccini according to package directions; drain. Place fettuccini in a large bowl; toss with olive oil. Cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, combine beer, onion, garlic and fennel seeds in large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover; boil 3 minutes. Add mussels.
Cover; reduce heat to medium. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until mussels are opened. Remove mussels from stockpot with slotted spoon; set aside. Discard any unopened mussels.
3. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Add cubed fennel; simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; remove from heat.
4. Spoon mussels over noodles and poor on top. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
5. Paired with a lager beer.