Zuppa Toscana is a broad based term literally meaning “soup in the style of Tuscany”. Classic zuppa toscana normally is a soup made from kale, zucchini, cannellini beans, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, tomato pulp, extra virgin olive oil, salt, powdered chili, toasted Tuscan bread, and rigatino.
This one pot of Zuppa Toscana Soup is our take and our very own interpretation of comfort food at it’s best. Loaded with bacon, sausage, potatoes, kale and all the delicious fillings that will remote you to Tuscany, Italy!
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (If you are a bacon lover add 8 slices)
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red peppers flakes
- 1 (32oz) container chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups russet potatoes thinly sliced (I use a mandolin)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Brown sausage in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Add bacon to pot and cook until crispy.
- Stir onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken stock and water to the pot. Add crushed red peppers flakes, salt and pepper.
- Add thinly sliced potatoes and cooked sausage to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kale to the soup, and simmer for additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let heat through.
- Serve soup into bowls and serve with parmesan cheese.
Recommended wines and beers to drink while enjoying our Zuppa Toscana Soup:
Pinot Noir (partially oaked, dry)
Pinot Noir (oaked, dry)
The Civil Life Brewing Company (St. Louis, Missouri) Rye Pale Ale
Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn, New York) Righteous Ale
Reuben’s Brews (Seattle, Washington) American Rye
Harpoon Brewery (Boston, Massachusetts) Rich & Dan’s Rye IPA