It’s almost Cinco de Mayo, which means it’s also almost time for you to make sure that beer fridge of your’s is stocked appropriately for the occasion.
While most people might reach for a bottle of tequila or a Corona on May 5th, there are actually a ton of great Mexican craft beers that are worth checking out. Here are a few of our favorites from the United States and Mexico.
1. Baja Brewing makes number of Mexican-inspired beers, including a raspberry ale named Baja Razz, an amber called Pelirroja, an Mexican IPA called Por Favor.
2. Ska’s Mexican Logger is a sessional brew features a light to medium body and a clean, crisp finish. It’s so good that it managed to take home medals at the Great American Beer Festival in the International Style Pilsner Category for the past two years.
3. 21st Amendment’s El Sully is one of my personal faves.
4. Who says Mexican beers need to be light in color? Tijuana’s Border Psycho Brewery makes an imperial stout that we’d love to try.
5. 7 Mares Cervecería in Guadalajara has an epic beer lineup.
6. There’s something about the brewery name “Black Penguin” that make it sound totally badass.
7. Cerveceria Cinco de Mayo has an epically perfect name for the holiday.
8.La Lupulosa is one of the highest-rated beers in Mexico and is… an American IPA.
9. Tempus Doble Malta breaks the mold of what a Mexican beer should look like. This one is an Altbeer.
10. Victoria is a readily-available beer from Mexico that can be a nice change of pace from your average Corona.